2ND Chance Holiday Sale! Save 25% after Coupon Savings! Use Code SHOP25
February 11, 2014
There are few essential oils as versatile and sustainable as Lemon. To understand lemon essential oil better here's a few facts: the essential oil of Lemon is cold pressed from the rind contrary to the belief that the oil comes from the fruit itself. A veritable boatload of Lemons 1,500 to be exact, are needed to produce one pound of essential oil and, did you know diffusing Lemon can bring clarity of mind while purifying the air in the room? Lemon is an excellent oil to lift the spirits of those with S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) by diffusing or simply inhaling the bright aroma. One of the best-loved attributes of CW Lemon essential oil is its affordability! One bottle can tackle moods, purify air, kill mold, degrease, remove warts, callouses, and corns, purify water, stop a runny nose...all this, naturally and the list goes on and on! I call that V A L U E. The only caution I will advise you of is phototoxicity which means, it can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. If you've just applied Lemon to your skin in a cleanser or moisturizer or as an antiseptic, stay out direct sunlight for 8 hours.
1. Soothe a sore throat: In a mug of very warm water add 2 to 3 drops CW Immunity Impact protective blend, 1 drop Lemon and 1 teaspoon Manuka honey or, raw honey, sip it slowly and let the oils and honey calm your throat. This is safe for children too.
2. Cold Sores & Fever Blisters: Get a fingertip wet with Lemon and dab the breakout. Apply 2 to 3x daily, use a little coconut oil if the undiluted Lemon oil stings. Always wash your hands well after each application.
3. Acne: What works well for cold sores will work well for breakouts too, apply Lemon as above.
4. Turn off the faucet of a runny nose: Use a little carrier oil and a drop of Lemon in the palm of your hand. Get your fingertip wet and swipe each side of your nose. FYI: remember your skin will be more sensitive to the sun if you go outside.
5. Callouses, corns, and warts: Apply a drop of Lemon undiluted, twice a day until they go away.
6. Varicose Veins: Apply a drop of Lemon oil on varicose veins to improve circulation. Tip: Try dry brushing over varicose veins prone areas to clear away dead skin and open up pores for better circulation.
7. Canker Sores: Add a drop of Lemon to a shot glass of water and swish in mouth for several minutes to alleviate any kind of mouth ulcers.
8. Detox: I use pure Lemon oil several days a week by adding 2 drops to my stainless steel or glass water bottle (avoid plastic). Doing so allows for a gentle kind of detox and water just tastes better. If you're looking for a real treat, add 2 drops to a small bottle of Sparkling Water for that soda pop burn!
9. Did you have fish for dinner?: Lucky you but, what about that odor in your house? Diffuse Lemon to rid your home of all those not so great kitchen smells. It works!
10. Drunken Lemon Lavender Home Spray: Fill a glass (preferably) bottle with water, add 1 tablespoon cheap vodka (to emulsify the oils) and 10 drops each Lemon and Lavender. Lovely!! Not only does the addition of vodka sweeten the fragrance it also emulsifies the oils with the water so you're not constantly shaking up the contents.
11. Wood Furniture Restoration: Add 2 or 3 drops of Lemon to a soft rag along with some mineral oil to wipe and condition your wood.
12. Clean Your Cell Phone, Countertops, Kitchen and Bathroom: I love to make these reusable cleaning wipes, you can use them everywhere! Here's how easy it is: Fill a large bowl with very warm water, add 2 tablespoons Dr. Bronners Castile Soap, 1 teaspoon borax, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 10 drops each Lemon and Lavender. Add a large pile of clean rags to the water and wring the water out of each one. Start making a stack of rags in a large canning jar of container of your choice.
13. Brighten and Deodorize Your Whites: I like to add 2 drops of Lemon to a scoop of oxygenated bleach for every load of whites washed in hot water.
14. DIY Fabric Softener: Add 50 drops of Lemon to 2 cups of epsom salt and stir in, store in glass canning jar. Add a 1/4 cup of the Lemony epsom salts to every load for naturally softer laundry!
15. Produce Wash: Add 6 drops Lemon to 1 cup hydrogen peroxide...fill glass spray bottle. Spritz non-organic produce thoroughly, wipe and rinse. If you're anything like me, I love a natural alternative to just about anything. Lemon does it for me and I'm still discovering new ways to use it! Enjoy your bottle of liquid sunshine!
May 10, 2017
Adding Lemon EO to my water daily has been a life saver! I’ve suffered from severe monthly cramps and migraines for nearly 30 years. They caused me to miss work & made me miserable. After 3 months of steady use I’m nearly pain free. I get a headache but it’s manageable & only lasts an hour as opposed to 3 days. I bought my sister Lemon EO too for the same reason. She said it immediately helped her heartburn. She took 2 Zantac a day & has gone w/o it now for 4 days. My husband began using LLP blend at night for itching he experienced at night. He would scratch all night till he bled, now he sleeps through the night itch free. Thanks for sharing your EO knowledge it’s changed our lives by improving our health:)
Kathleen, you don’t pour anything over the wrung out rags and yes, they’re a one time use! Wash and re-use :)
For the reusable rags, after you put the rags in a jar do you then put the solution in or are the rags only a one time use and you make a new batch of solution every time? I love the idea I just want to do it right. Thank you!
Thank you for the very informative article! I just ordered my first bottle of oil from Spark and it was Lemon. Can’t wait to use it in my water. I love Lemons!
I can never have enough lemon eo! Love love love Lemon! :)
Also helps with gout – rub the EO on the joint that hurts, and drink a couple of drops in your water. This made my husband a believer!
Also helpful for me: I have an arthritic knee that sometimes gets stuck and hurts really badly. Takes days sometimes for it to loosen up. Not anymore. Rub lemon EO on the back of the knee and wait ten minutes, and you can stand up. Yay!! I am never without my lemon oil.
Yes, I also would like to know more about the reusable rags. Could you use microfiber rags? After you use the rag I guess you wash them. How long does the solution last? Maybe you could do a post on this one thing.
Love your blog and have pinned and printed this post for future use.
I just cleaned my oven door today using a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (thanks to Jillee for that tip) and 4 drops of lemon oil for extra grime busting ability (and a clean fresh scent). I left it on for an hour (because I totally got sidetracked) and the gunk wiped right off and smelled so pleasant. No nasty oven cleaners here!
The danger of citrus for cats would be direct application or, excessive diffusing in small spaces. Your use is safe :)
I love lemon also, but I’m a little afraid to use it around my kitty, as I heard it’s bad for cats. Is this true or do they actually need to get it on them for it to be dangerous?
Lime, grapefruit, tangerine, and wild orange would all be delicious!
I’m totally going to try this on my mom who suffers from Knee pain. Now are you using it alone or also using it with a carrier oil as well.?
I was wondering besides lemon eo what other eo would be good to put in water and drink?
I probably wouldn’t use microfiber rags since they can be pricey. For these I usually just buy a pack of inexpensive wash rags. And yes, after use just throw them in the wash and they’ll be ready to add the solution again. It probably lasts about a week or so.
I just love the uses of essential oils and the multitasking Lemon! :)
But, I wonder for a long time, how I could get the Shield Protective Blend or how I could duplicate it, because I am from Germany. I would love some help!
My new diffuser says not to use lemon oil in it however i noticed you recommend diffusing it for kitchen odors. I purchased the diffuser from Spark Naturals and it is a Zag Noor. Please afvise
Thank you very much! :)
Try the Thieve Blend in this post :)
You can actually apply lemon without a carrier oil but you’ll see in each of the uses I listed it says whether or not to use a carrier oil in that particular instance.
Gail, most diffuser manufacturers will recommend not using citrus oils in because citrus oils can speed corrosion. Personally, I have to diffuser citrus because I love their brightness! I believe if you’re diligent with regular cleaning (wiping with water and white vinegar with a little baking soda) your diffuser will last a good long time. In the end, it’s a personal choice :)
Comments will be approved before showing up.
October 09, 2018
September 13, 2018
July 18, 2018