Nestled at the base of the Unitas in Park City, UT lives a local shop
that makes and sells the most beautiful skin products! This scrub was instrumental in introducing a DIY skin care obsession using only natural oils, textures and scents. I share my DIY recipe and, more importantly, the health benefits that you probably never realized could be found in a scrub. While I love supporting small businesses and do often, I couldn't resist creating my own version of this body scrub. I went to my workshop and blended this and that, researching the benefits of what I wanted to try and after a few fits and starts, loved the end result! I stayed true to the originals Tangerine and Lavender essential oil combination because the fragrance is just so joyful but I knew there were other properties to be offered from using this EO combination like: improved elasticity of skin, infusion of antioxidants, soothing effect and lowering cholesterol and neutralizing environmental tissue damage. Lavender Essential Oil "Studies of the biological activities of these oils suggest Lavandula oils have sedative and antispasmodic properties as well being potent antimicrobials and antioxidants." Science Daily
Tangerine Essential Oil - (cold pressed from tangerine peels) "The major scientific study published in the 2004 issue of "Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry" shows that tangerine peels have more powerful health benefits than the juice and could have significant potential for lowering cholesterol in people. Reporting on the study, Science Daily explains that the peels were found to contain 20 times the antioxidants in juice. Antioxidants are chemical substances that neutralize the oxygen damage that can occur in human tissue." Science Daily
Ok, if you think the essential oil properties are impressive just wait until you learn about the emollient oils added, wowzers! I consider all the elements in this scrub to be a nutraceutical
, this is more than a beauty product, it's a supplement for your skin and body...smooth skin is a might fine side effect! Along with sugar, mineral salt and pure essential oils
I use Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil, Virgin Olive Oil and Vitamin e oil (non gmo). Yummers! Hemp Seed Oil
for balanced Omega fatty acids and proteins. FYI: Hemp see oil overpowers the fragrance of Lavender and Tangerine but I love what this oil does, so I compromise here. Rosehip Seed Oil
is considered to be a "dry oil" which I love! Very healing for sun damaged and mature skin, works wonders on scars and is high in essential fatty acids. Virgin Olive Oil for it's great conditioning effect and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin e Oil
for antioxidant activity, softening and as a natural preservative. Himalayan Salt
for a healthier grit. Why? "Your table salt is actually 97.5% sodium chloride and 2.5% chemicals such as moisture absorbents, and iodine. Dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt. With the use of rigorous advertising, the salt industry is successful in convincing you there are actually health advantages to adding potentially toxic iodine and fluoride to salt. In addition, your table salt very often contains potentially dangerous preservatives. Calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and aluminum hydroxide are often added to improve the ability of table salt to pour. Aluminum is a light alloy that deposits into your brain -- a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease." Dr. Merocla
- All of the crystal salt's minerals and trace elements are available in colloidal form which means they are so small your cells can readily absorb them.
- The Crystal Salt from the Himalayas does not burden your body as other salts do. It is very difficult for your body to absorb too much crystal salt since there are powerful and effective feedback loops that regulate this process. Natural crystal salt always promotes a healthy balance and does not contribute to high blood pressure like typical table salt.
Just in case you're wondering why I'm fussing over a simple scrub, understand that everything we smooth over our skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream. We tend to forget that at the beauty counter, but it's worth remembering, never more so than today.
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 cup himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons rosehip seed oil
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 20 drops pure tangerine essential oil
- 30 drops pure lavender essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vitamin e oil
- Hemp Seed Oil to desired consistency - have 1 cup on hand!
- Measure salt and sugar, blend together.
- Add essential oils (you can switch yours up if you like!) and blend.
- Add rosehip oil, olive oil and vitamin e oil and blend.
- Begin adding the hemp seed oil slowly until you reach your desired consistency. Just keep stirring and blending and watching the consistency.
- Store in a 1 pint mason jar or PET plastic container (essential oil friendly).