Dr. David Hill states that Melissa is a very powerful antiviral essential oil. Because it has now been confirmed that essential oils do penetrate the cells in our body and Melissa is 60% a phenylpropanoid (an organic compound associated with the structural components of the body’s cellular walls). Therefore, Melissa, with its antiviral property can inactivate a virus before it enters a cell. This is important since a virus needs a host cell before it can multiply and do its damage in the body. This makes Melissa very very effective against the herpes virus that 98% of us have.
He also notes the usefulness of Melissa as an antidepressant, especially in this day when big pharma is pushing so many dangerous antidepressant drugs. Even more alarming, where the fastest growing market of these drugs are children of preschool age.
Dr. Hill notes five health concerns that benefit from the calming properties of Melissa. These are depression, anger, Alzheimer’s, dementia, and cognitive impairments. He suggests diffusing Melissa essential oil at night. Also applying topically with Melissa and Frankincense for depression and Melissa with Patchouli for cognitive disorders.Because of the expense of Melissa many writers note that it can often be used diluted and remain very effective. For example with cold sores (oral herpes) just a single drop of a 10:1 dilution may be sufficient for topical application 2 to 3 times a day. When you consider the expense of a doctor visit, time off work to make that appointment and, a prescription suddenly a bottle with 90 drops for repeated use that includes a myriad of important uses seems like a bargain in my mind at least! After all this talk about Melissa, why Myrrh too? I like this resinous EO a lot! Myrrh is very special as it can stimulate the immune system and blood circulation therefore relieve pain, calm swelling and promote tissue regeneration. Myrrh’s astringent and analgesic properties aid with hemorrhoids even leprosy and syphilis. TIP: For everyday skin issues, I combine Myrrh with Frankincense (equal parts) and keep it with me everywhere I wander, it's umbrella of uses is immense and, the combination is a beauty treatment for your skin in disguise! Back to Herpes Simplex - as soon as you feel the familiar tingling and slightly burning sensation signaling a breakout (argh!) start applying this remedy ASAP and be consistent! Of course, keep the area clean and dry and stay hydrated. Dehydration can trigger cold sores faster than you can imagine! Stay well my friends!
- 5 drops Melissa essential oil
- 5 drops Myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops fractionated coconut oil or almond oil
- 5/8 dram glass vial
- Glass eye droppers recommended for precise decanting.
- Due to the rarity and price point of these EOs particularly Melissa I strongly suggest this application so as not to waste any of the essential oils by being stored in a bottle with more air than oil - oxidation is not our friend!
- Because such a small amount is needed and breakouts should clear up quickly with consistent application, I would suggest using a 1/4 to 5/8 dram bottle for storage. This will allow you to tap the orifice on your fingertip for just the right amount to apply to blisters topically.
- Apply 3x daily until blisters are healed. The small vial will allow you take the blend with you where ever you wander! Keep the blisters clean of makeup and lipstick if possible. Cleanse area morning and night.
- Antiviral applications may help shorten the length of a herpes outbreak and cut down on recurring outbreaks. These treatments can reduce outbreaks by up to 80%.
Recipe By: CampWander